If you become involved in a gift card scam, you may seek assistance from a variety of resources in
the private and government sectors:


  • Contact the card issuer identified on the gift card.
  • Contact the retailer where the gift card can be used.
  • Go to the Better Business Bureau Scam Tracker at
  • Contact the Government Agency that purportedly needs payment by gift cards.
  • For federal income tax scams, contact the Treasurer Inspector General for Tax Administration at 800-355-4468 or visit
  • Contact Local Law Enforcement.
  • Contact the Consumer Division of Office of the Attorney General of Your State.
  • Contact the Federal Trade Commission at 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357) or at
  • Contact the Federal Department of Justice, National Elder Fraud Hotline at 833-FRAUD-11 (833-372-8311) or visit
  • State Specific Reporting: some states have established a program for reporting gift card scams. If anyone insists you pay with gift cards, decline the offer, and report the incident as instructed below if you live in the following states.
• New York: Call New York State Division of Consumer Protection at 800-697-1220.
• Rhode Island: Report to or call the Rhode Island Attorney General’s office at 401-274-4400.

Additional Resources:
For more about gift card scams visit the Retail Gift Card Association’s Consumer Center.